Monday, June 05, 2006

Thomas

Here's a useful tool for anybody wanting to keep tabs on Congress, and its Legislators. Its called Thomas, named after Thomas Jefferson, and is the Library of Congress system, instituted in 1995, for making legislative information freely available to the public. If you go there, you can find, among other things, the texts of Bills and Resolutions, their current status, who sponsors them, and who votes for them. You can also find information on the status of Presidential nominations and treaties, and read committee reports from both the House and Senate. I don't expect I'll be reading a lot of committee reports, or treaty information (most of the language is lawyerese), although you never know, but I think I'll probably be checking in from time to time to see how my representatives in Congress are voting on important issues. It could come in handy to have a one stop shopping center for Congressional info.