Saturday, September 26, 2009

Movie Minute

Saw the new Bruce Willis sci fi flick Surrogates last night. Man, I love his taste in science fiction! Shades of Asimov in this one, with just a little Matrix thrown in to boost the quality of the tech. I love sci fi that looks at the question, "If we can, does that mean we should?" (This is a good time to go watch the trailer, linked above, and then come back.) I walked away from this movie totally understanding how humanity could go where the story takes them. For my own reasons, there are times I would love to be able to plug in to a surrogate and use it to take me out into the world, from which I often must keep myself isolated, and can only imagine what a blessing such technology would be to the wheelchair-bound, or bed-ridden. However, I also believe that the film is quite accurate about where such things could lead. Where is that, you ask? Well, for that you'll have to watch the movie, which I recommend you do.

You'll recognize Bruce Willis. He's the pretty little surrey with the fringe on the top.