Friday, May 18, 2007

Why Do We Fund These Organizations?

Sorry to just toss another one at you, but I've been very busy this week taking care of some projects that have been hanging over my head for quite a while. Occasionally one simply must look at the "to do" list and actually do some of it, rather than just watching the list get longer, so that's where my week has gone. I read something this morning, though, in my brief bit of leisure before plunging back into my official work of the day, which I found both interesting and frustrating. If you don't know anything about the kerfuffle over World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz and accusations of ethical misconduct, you probably won't be interested in reading this Wall Street Journal op ed discussing how his name has now been cleared, but he's resigning anyway. If you know the story, you might find the piece worth your time. It's not a who, what, where, when summation of the facts (so if you don't know them you would probably find the piece confusing), but rather a look at what the conditions are that could lead to someone being cleared of charges, but being forced out of their job anyway. It all comes down to a "culture of corruption" that doesn't like the people who try to clean things up, and I can't help thinking again, as so many of us did with the U.N.'s Oil For Food program, why are we giving these crooks money? Is there any hope that our government will stop throwing good money after bad and let these corrupt organizations fall into the ash-heap of history where they belong if they don't clean up their acts? I suppose not, which is quite depressing. Most political stuff is still depressing me these days. I think I'll go work on my projects now. Sorry to depress and run, but the Meow will chipper up again soon, never fear. Some cool new space toy or medical breakthrough will catch my eye, and I'll be my usual enthusiastic and positive self, and soon I'll have the latest project in the "done" column too. That should help my state of mind. Getting things finished always helps my state of mind. I wonder if that's how Paul Wolfowitz feels? "Well, it was a horrible and corrupt place that treated me badly, but at least it's finished. I don't have to put up with it any more, and I can move on to better things." For his sake, I hope so.