Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Vindication

Those of you who know me (and I suspect that that's almost everyone who bothers to glance at my little corner of the blogosphere) know that my husband frequently frets over my lack of interest in food. Not only would he like to have me spend more time concocting tempting gourmet meals--he's something of a food snob--he also thinks I would benefit from more caloric intake. However, there is increasing scientific evidence that restricting the calories a bit can help slow the effects of aging, and potentially extend lifespans. Studies with rats are shoring up that claim. So, I figure when I don't feel much like a big meal, I'm actually just jump-starting human scientific trials on the benefits of a lower calorie diet. Hey, it works for the rats. Pass the cheese, please--but just a little. I'm really not that hungry.

4 comments:

  1. You're not allowed to eat cheese ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now hold on a minute here. No possible legimate excuse for your lack of caloric intake! What I want to know is: would this "lack of desire for eating (or being too busy and just forgetting to eat)" be considered the type of gluttony as desrcibed by CS Lewis in "Screwtape" where the mother of the patient only wants 1/4 of the food on the plate......does your lack of desire equate itself to be like that of the mother? Hmmm....something to ponder.

    Another item I found quite interesting in the article was that it said, "calorie restriction failed to increase lifespan in mutant mice..." -since I would consider Kat quite the mutant (after all, is not your liver "flawed"??? - for that matter, aren't we all flawed?), then I must thusly state that your cry of "Vindication" has now found itself dully clunking as would a bell without a clangor (I know, I'm making up new uses of words here, but it sounded pretty cool!).

    I love you dearly Kat, but from one who certainly has no problem forgetting to feed onesself (as we all can see), I will not allow you to even remotely consider there being a possibility of you being able to justify your lack of caloric intake! Do we have a HERE, HERE from your spouse????

    V :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not my spouse's blog. His HERE, HERE doesn't carry as much weight as my THERE, THERE. (I know that made no sense, and didn't even sound cool, but it's what I've got this a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
    »

    ReplyDelete