Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Hood River Trek Pictorial

Well, yesterday I told you all a bit about our day trip to Hood River, and I thought maybe you'd like to see some of the photos from our adventure. I know this isn't current events, or science, or politics, or any of the things I usually bring you. It's a bit of self-indulgence, really. I enjoyed the day, and like the pics, and am looking to drag you all into the memory--but who couldn't use a little colorful diversion in a sometimes dreary world? So here we go.



Draper Orchard, where we go every year to stock up on our winter supply of pears and apples, is just all kinds of charming. There are beautiful views in every direction, and little groupings of pumpkins and sheaves of wheat, and other decorative touches make the family farm a lovely escape for us city folk.

My husband and I are are stocking up on fruit here, while our more artistic friend looks through the decorative gourds and pumpkins for just the right centerpiece.

We speculated that some of these more interesting-looking offerings of nature were actually alien pods, and that if we took any home, we could look forward to an alien infestation when they hatched.

This ram got our attention by virtue of his four horns. The poor thing must feel like he's lived his life behind a hockey mask.

What country scene is complete without a red barn?

There were also three little pigs!! The two shown in the photo were less afraid of the big, bad wolf.

My friend, husband and sister make a charming group there amongst the pumpkins and marigolds, don't you think?

My sister certainly dressed for the occasion!!

We all decided that the word bucolic, which is an adjective used to describe an idealized country life, was certainly fitting the environment, but it is not one of those words that sounds like what it means. It's really quite an ugly word used to describe such a pretty scene. The horse was very benevolent on the occasion, and graciously allowed us to pet it and feed it some of the grass from the other side of the fence. It was a very smart horse, because, of course, the grass was clearly greener on the other side.

I have discovered that my blog program doesn't want to let me post more than ten pictures at a time, so I'll put these out for you now, and work on a second post to give you the rest, and put it below. Hope you liked 'em.

Update: Oops!! I forgot to tell you that some of these were taken by me, but many of them are my sister's handiwork. I don't want to take credit away from her artistic eye, even if it is my blog and I could probably get away with it!!